Pediatric Trauma Evaluation
Our experience treating a high volume of pediatric trauma cases enables us to get to the source of the issue quickly. We do a thorough evaluation that often includes imaging studies. Radiologists specializing in musculoskeletal conditions help interpret the results, leading to a precise diagnosis.
Concussion evaluations typically include a neurological exam to assess brain function. We also use computerized ImPACT® testing. This tool enables us to measure specific aspects of brain performance, such as memory, attention span and problem-solving.
We help many children feel better with nonsurgical therapies. Our program is among the few in the area capable of making custom casts and braces. Physical therapists who are board certified in pediatric and adolescent care deliver specialized care. Learn more about [U18] Sports Medicine.
If surgery is necessary, your child receives care from some of the region’s top pediatric orthopedic surgeons. They use techniques to preserve growth plates while repairing broken bones. We have deep experience in complex knee reconstruction and brachial plexus injuries. Doctors and families also look to us to repair tendon tears and fractures that did not heal as expected.
Pediatric physical therapists help your child regain strength and flexibility as their recovery progresses. They work closely with orthopedic experts to tailor therapies to your child’s specific needs. Services are available in clinics throughout the region, making it easier to fit rehabilitation into your family’s busy schedule.
Orthopedic Trauma Conditions We Treat
We deliver exceptional care for any traumatic orthopedic injury, including:
- Brachial plexus injuries, damage to the network of nerves supplying movement and sensation to the arms
- Hand and upper extremity conditions, shoulder instability and tendon tears
- Fractures, anything from hairline breaks to open fractures (broken bone pokes through the skin)
- Lower extremity injuries, ankle sprains and knee ligament tears
- Spine issues, like trauma, fractures, sprains and dislocations (a vertebra slips out of its natural position)
- Sports injuries, rotator cuff tears, tennis elbow, runner’s knee and labral tears
A National Leader in In Children's Orthopedics
Pediatric Trauma Care at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital: Why Choose Us?
Orthopedic trauma includes injuries to bones, joints and soft tissue due to an external force, like a bad fall or car accident. These injuries require prompt, specialized medical attention. Our team leads the region in delivering this type of care.
Highlights of our program include:
- Pediatric focus: Our specialists have extensive pediatric orthopedic training and offer uncommon trauma expertise. We stay current on the latest research so you can feel confident your child receives the best care. We successfully treat complex trauma, including knee ligament tears and fractures near growth plates. Meet our team.
- Easy clinic access: Receive care for minor injuries in clinics close to home. Same-day and next-day appointments are typically available. On-site imaging capabilities and sophisticated concussion testing enable us to perform a thorough evaluation.
- Emergency care: We are on call 24 hours a day at our pediatric emergency room for injuries that can’t wait for an appointment. Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital has the only Level I pediatric trauma center in Broward County. Only organizations like ours that meet or exceed national emergency care standards maintain this designation.