Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Wasie Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital provides level II and level III neonatal intensive care services for babies who require more care than the Newborn Nursery can provide.
Why Choose the Wasie NICU
- We are one of 11 Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Centers in Florida
- We are the largest NICU in Broward County with a total of 84 beds, including:
- 62 Level III beds
- 22 Level II beds
- All neonatologists are board certified and our division is proud to be a destination center for Hypothermic Therapy for encephalopathic infants in Broward County.
- We have been active participants for more than 20 years in the Vermont Oxford Network, a nonprofit voluntary collaboration of healthcare professionals dedicated to improving the quality and safety of medical care for newborn infants and their families
Datasource: Set Video Source here
There are many reasons why a baby would require care in our Wasie NICU. In addition to premature babies or those who experienced complications at birth, we treat babies who are experiencing:
- Bowel obstructions
- Cardiac anomalies
- Chronic lung disease
- Congenital anomalies
- Low blood sugar
- Meconium aspiration syndrome
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Neonatal sepsis
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension
- Respiratory distress syndrome
- Retinopathy of prematurity
- Tracheo-esophageal fistula
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
How We Offer Support
If your baby is being admitted to the NICU, your tremendous joy at the arrival of your baby is probably mixed with concern for your child's health and well-being. We understand the challenges this situation brings and are committed to supporting families through this difficult time.
In addition to providing a warm and family-centered nurturing environment to help you bond with your baby, we offer the Conine Clubhouse, a place for families to stay while their babies are being cared for at the hospital.
Visiting the NICU
- Parents are welcome 24 hours a day
- To preserve confidentiality during shift changes, we exclude 6:30 am - 7:30 am and 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm for other visitors (not parents)
- We ask that only two people are at the bedside at one time
- Visitors must be 16 or older; however, siblings 24 months or older may visit with proof of immunizations and when accompanied by a parent
- To protect the health of our premature and sick babies, no one should visit with fever or other signs of a cold or flu
- During cold and flu season, there may be additional visiting restrictions
Our NICU has the NICVIEW webcam system – allowing you to see your newborn in the NICU from a computer or mobile device. The streaming video of your baby can only be accessed with a unique username and password. The NICVIEW system is free, easy to use and secure.
Log in to NICVIEW with your username and password.
Wasie Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
1005 Joe DiMaggio Drive
Hollywood, FL 33021
View map and directions
Other Neonatal Intensive Care Units: