Your Baby’s NICU Care Team
During your baby’s NICU stay, you will spend time with many members of our Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital NICU care team. There is no easy way to prepare for your baby’s time in the NICU, but we are here to help in any way we can.Our NICU team knows that no matter what the reason is for your baby’s stay, it can be a stressful and uncertain time for your entire family. We encourage parents to ask questions at any time – and it’s perfectly ok if you need something repeated or explained again. We are proud to be a partner in your baby’s medical care, and your involvement is an essential part of your baby’s NICU journey.
All three of our Joe DiMaggio NICU locations provide our neonatal patients with a comprehensive, multidisciplinary care team, including:
- Charge nurse/clinical manager: A registered nurse who oversees the NICU units during the 12-hour shift.
- Neonatologist: Licensed medical doctor with specialized training in the care of ill newborns. The neonatologist is responsible for the comprehensive medical care of your baby.
- NICU nurse: Licensed Registered Nurse who cares for your baby. Our nursing team works 12-hour shifts from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The NICU nurses are here to help answer any questions or concerns you have about your baby. Our NICU nurses also complete a bedside report at shift change to ensure the oncoming nurse is up-to-date on your baby’s condition
- NICU nurse practitioner: An advanced practice nurse with specialized training in the care of ill newborns.
- NICU nursing director: Has the overall responsibility for the entire NICU unit 24/7.
- Nurse manager: Has the overall responsibility for a specific area of the NICU.
- Patient care associate (PCA): Provides additional support to staff and NICU families.
- Respiratory therapist: Assists with the respiratory needs of your baby.
- Unit secretary: provides additional support to staff and families – your go-to person if you have a question.
Additional NICU Support
- Child life specialist: Offers support and guidance to help address your baby’s developmental needs during their NICU stay.
- Early intervention therapist: Occupational, physical and speech therapists provide various therapies to monitor your baby’s growth and development.
- Family advocate and parent mentor: Emotional support and an information lifeline available whenever you need them. Please ask your baby’s nurse or call 954-265-0196 to meet with a Family Advocate or Parent Mentor. They are here to help you navigate your baby’s NICU journey from a parent’s perspective.
- Lactation consultant: Trained breastfeeding specialist that assists and supports new moms on breastfeeding questions or concerns.
- Milk room technician: Trained in maintaining, storing and monitoring mother’s breastmilk throughout the baby’s NICU stay.
- NICU discharge nurse navigator: Helps you navigate your baby’s NICU journey by providing support from admission to discharge.
- Registered dietician: Monitors your baby’s nutritional needs to facilitate his or her growth and development.
- Social worker: Provides support during your hospital stay and assists with preparations for your baby’s discharge needs.
- Volunteers: Our trained NICU volunteers can help hold or cuddle your baby if you need to step away for a quick break or meal.
Complex Care after NICU Discharge
Babies who spend time in the NICU might need additional specialized care after discharge. Our NICU care team will walk you through the process of taking your baby home and how to coordinate your baby’s care after discharge.
If your baby requires complex care, the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Complex Chronic Care Coordination team will work closely with your baby’s NICU team to help with the transition from hospital to home. The team provides additional resources, support and medical care coordination for your baby as they continue to grow and develop.
It matters to you. It matters to us.
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Quality and Safety
See our hospital's patient satisfaction numbers, number of patients and more.View Quality and Safety
You have a Right to Know About Prices
We want to give you the information you need to make important healthcare decisions, including the costs of our services.View Pricing
View test results, schedule follow-up appointments, request prescription refills and more.Login or Sign-up to MyChart