Explore Our Pediatric Hernia Surgery Services
What Is a Hernia?
Hernias happen when fatty tissue or an organ pushes through a weak spot in the connective tissue beneath the skin that holds it in place. Hernias cause swelling, like a balloon filling with air. Hernias often don’t get better on their own. In fact, they can get worse, especially if your child is active. If your child needs surgery, the surgeon will gently place the tissue or organ back where it belongs inside the body, then close the muscle wall to keep it there.
Types of Pediatric Hernias
The three most common types of hernias in children are:
- Inguinal hernia occurs when part of the intestine bulges through the abdominal wall near the groin.
- Umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestine pushes through the abdominal wall at the belly button (navel).
- Epigastric hernia happens when part of the intestine pushes through the abdominal wall above the belly button.
How We Treat Pediatric Hernias
We repair hundreds of hernias for children in South Florida and beyond every year. We offer:
- Minimally invasive procedures: We often use procedures such as laparoscopy, which involves inserting a tiny camera to see inside your child’s abdomen. These techniques generally mean smaller incisions and fewer stitches, translating to less downtime after surgery.
- Outpatient surgery: Our surgeons often perform hernia surgery on an outpatient basis, so your child can go home the same day. We help your family follow recovery guidelines to ensure the hernia heals completely.
- Convenient locations: We offer several surgery locations throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties, so you won’t have to travel far for treatment.
MyChartLOGIN TO MYCHART
It matters to you. It matters to us.
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Quality and Safety
See our hospital's patient satisfaction numbers, number of patients and more.View Quality and Safety
You have a Right to Know About Prices
We want to give you the information you need to make important healthcare decisions, including the costs of our services.View Pricing
View test results, schedule follow-up appointments, request prescription refills and more.Login or Sign-up to MyChart