Explore Our Adolescent Breast & Gynecologic Surgery Services
When your child needs specialized breast and gynecological care, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital provides the appropriate treatment with expertise and compassion. Our surgeons focus on the unique healthcare needs of adolescents as they grow and develop.
Why Choose Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital for Adolescent Breast and Gynecological Surgery?
With strong expertise in treating children of all ages, we offer:
- Specialized care: Gynecological issues in children and teens are very different from adult conditions. For example, breast tissue is usually denser in adolescents than adults, so we use ultrasounds and MRIs to screen for problem areas. These tools are more sensitive than mammograms, providing a more accurate diagnosis.
- An integrated care team: Many factors can be involved in gynecological conditions, from hormones to genetics. As part of Memorial Healthcare System, we offer access to a wide variety of specialists. Our collaborative team includes pediatric urologists, radiologists, endocrinologists, pathologists and geneticists, all with extensive training in their fields.
- Diverse providers: We want our patients to feel comfortable with their doctors, so we’re happy to accommodate their preferences. Adolescents can have their choice of providers from a range of specialists.
- An empathetic approach: Some kids and teens feel hesitant or embarrassed about being treated for gynecological conditions. Our team treats patients and their families with dignity, respect and compassion. Learn more about our approach to adolescent medicine.
- Minimally invasive procedures: Whenever possible, we use techniques such as laparoscopy, which involves using a small camera to see inside the body. These methods generally translate to fewer stitches and a faster, more comfortable recovery than with traditional surgery.
Types of Breast and Gynecological Conditions We Treat
We treat a wide range of conditions in children and teens, including:
Fibroadenoma is the most common type of benign (noncancerous) breast tumor, usually appearing in teens and young women.
Most fibroadenomas don't increase the risk of breast cancer. However, doctors often recommend removing them, especially if they keep growing or change the shape of the breast. We perform a lumpectomy or excisional biopsy to remove breast tissue and send it to a lab to check for cancer.
An imbalance of the hormones estrogen and testosterone can cause a boy’s breast tissue to swell, which may lead to pain and embarrassment. If the condition doesn’t go away on its own, surgery can help to remove breast fat or excess gland tissue. Our surgeons often can use minimally invasive methods for these procedures.
Ovarian torsion happens when an ovary twists around ligaments (connective tissue) keeping it in place. The twisting may obstruct blood flow to the fallopian tube and ovary, causing severe pain and other symptoms. We correct this problem and restore the ovary to where it belongs.
Most masses in children and adolescents are benign. Sometimes, adolescent girls develop noncancerous cysts as a result of their monthly hormonal cycles. Our experienced surgeons remove cancerous and benign cysts, tumors and masses using minimally invasive methods whenever possible.
We’re equipped to treat both common and rare anomalies affecting the uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix and vagina. Some girls are born with underdeveloped organs, like Müllerian anomalies or Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome, while others develop problems later in life. We can surgically repair these issues to improve organ function and reduce pain.
MyChartLOGIN TO MYCHART
It matters to you. It matters to us.
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Quality and Safety
See our hospital's patient satisfaction numbers, number of patients and more.View Quality and Safety
You have a Right to Know About Prices
We want to give you the information you need to make important healthcare decisions, including the costs of our services.View Pricing
View test results, schedule follow-up appointments, request prescription refills and more.Login or Sign-up to MyChart