Memorial Hospital West Pediatric Services
Pembroke Pines, FL 33028
Memorial Hospital West offers several pediatric services, including:
About Our Emergency Room
The Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Emergency Department at Memorial Hospital West helps ease the fears children often associate with a trip to the emergency room. Contributing to the lighthearted atmosphere are electric trains, a water-filled bubbling window, TVs, games and color murals. These help distract kids from the serious work of the pediatric emergency physicians and registered nurses who work around-the-clock, every day of the year.
Children's Emergency Room Guidelines
The children's emergency department is staffed 24 hours a day with dedicated physicians, nurses and support staff, specially trained in pediatric emergency medicine. It is separate from the adult emergency department and has its own emergency entrance, triage, waiting and treatment rooms.
- Severity of the illness or injury determines the order children are seen.
- Your child will be seen by a registered nurse at the check-in (triage) desk.
- Please do not give your child anything to eat or drink until seen by a doctor.
- During busy times there may be a wait.
- Children with immediate needs are always seen first.
- Once evaluated, your child will be registered as a patient by a patient representative.
Procedures and Tests
- All procedures will be explained to the child and parent or guardian.
- Some procedures may be performed in a special treatment room.
- It is possible that you may not be able to be present for all procedures.
- After any X-ray and/or lab work, you will need to wait for the results.
- Instructions and follow-up care will be discussed with the child and parent or guardian upon discharge.
Can Children Be Treated in the Absence of Parents?
- Except in emergency circumstances, consent from a parent is needed for treatment, if the child is under 18 years old.
- If you are planning a trip and will be away from your child, leave a notarized consent or power of attorney for treatment of your child.
- Memorial Community Relations Department offers power of attorney and child ID services. For additional information, please call 954-265-0985.