In the Community
At Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, our vision is to improve the overall health of the community. We strive to provide safe, high-quality and efficient healthcare with a patient- and family-centered philosophy, along with offering a variety of useful programs to the community.
CAB's of CPR
This is a free Water Safety Education program. We send an instructor out to teach parents the basics of CPR and raise their awareness of water safety while their child is taking swimming lessons at area community swimming pools. This is not a CPR certification course.
Certification classes are offered during the summer months. Call 954-276-1250
The Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Mobile Health Center delivers healthcare services directly to neighborhoods and schools throughout South Broward. Free pediatric healthcare services include:
- Physical examinations
- Vision and hearing screenings
- Primary care physician referrals
Call Centralized Scheduling to make an appointment at 954-276-5548 (English) or 954-276-5542 (Spanish). View calendar.
Child Passenger Safety Seat Check
A nationally certified child passenger safety technician teaches participants how to properly protect children in age- and weight-appropriate car seats or booster seats. For details, call:
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital: 954-265-2350
- Memorial Hospital West: 954-844-7110
- Memorial Hospital Miramar: 954-538-5138
Home Alone, Safe Alone
This home safety awareness program is taught in the classroom by a hospital liaison with curriculum provided by the National Safety Council, South Florida Chapter. The program is taught to third graders and offers tips to children on walking home from school safety, stranger danger topics and what to do when they are home alone to keep themselves safe and busy. For more information or to schedule a presentation, call 954-276-1250.
This early childhood education program is designed especially for kindergartners and first-graders with the goal of reducing accidental injuries and deaths. The child-size town features working traffic signals, street signs, crosswalks, miniature houses and small tricycles, along with a variety of interactive stations. Safety Town is open by appointment during the week for public, private, charter schools and children’s groups. Learn more or schedule a field trip.
Safe Kids Broward County
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital is the lead agency for Safe Kids Broward, a division of Safe Kids Worldwide, the first national nonprofit organization dedicated solely to the prevention of unintentional childhood injuries. Through community partnerships, Safe Kids Broward promotes, develops and hosts such education programs as bicycle safety, child passenger safety, drowning prevention, fire prevention, pedestrian safety and poison prevention. For details, call 954-276-1250.
Children are given an overview of the healthcare setting and introduced to medical equipment they might encounter in a doctor's office or hospital. Elements of the teddy bear program are available for community health fairs and events throughout the year. For more information or to schedule a presentation, call 954-276-1250.
Pediatric Speakers Bureau
The Pediatric Speakers Bureau is provided as a free community service to all Broward County clubs, schools (PTAs), businesses, social or civic organizations and religious affiliations. With a reasonable amount of notice (we suggest four weeks), we can provide your organization with a representative/affiliate from Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital to speak on a variety of health and wellness topics. Speakers can be provided for many health-related topics, including:
- How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen
- Depression in Adolescents
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse in Teens
- How to Strengthen Family Bonds
- How to Prevent Drug Use in Your Family; Drug and Alcohol Abuse in Teens
- Body Image and Self-Esteem: How Growth Rate, Weight and Physical Appearance Affect a Child's Confidence
- Managing Anger: How to Redirect Your Emotions Away From Your Child
- Child Safety: Car Seats, Drown Prevention and Poison Prevention
- Growing Pains and Your Child's Changing Body
- Household Emergencies; When to Bring Your Child to the ER
- Attention Deficit Disorder and Hyperactivity
- Coping With Asthma
- Heart Murmurs and Your Child
- Newborn Care 101
- Early Detection of Child Developmental Disorders
- How to Cope With Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Diabetes and a Healthy Lifestyle
- Surgical Solutions for Birth Defects
- Testing Anxiety in Children: How to Relax Children Before Testing
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital: "An Overview"
- CAB's of CPR
For more information or to schedule a presentation, call 954-276-1250.
This program is designed to educate students about poison prevention and to inform them on procedures to be taken in case of poisoning. A lecture includes poison look-a-like display, awareness tips to avoid poisoning and home safety education. Elements of the program are available for community health fairs and events throughout the year. For more information or to schedule a presentation, call 954-276-1250.