The Sickle Cell Day Hospital at Memorial Regional Hospital is a leader in sickle cell treatment for patients 16 and older. We are one of only a few sickle cell day hospitals in the country and the first Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization (JCAHC)-certified sickle day hospital. We specialize in leading-edge sickle cell treatment, research and dedicated services to meet the specific needs of pediatric sickle cell patients in Broward County. Our system of care is unique, as is our level of individualized attention.
About Sickle Cell
Although anyone can inherit the condition, sickle cell anemia occurs most often in African Americans and Hispanic Americans. People with the condition may experience sickle cell crises where irregular, or “sickled,” red blood cells block small blood vessels and stop the regular flow of blood and oxygen, causing severe pain throughout the body. Our Sickle Cell Day Hospital can help patients manage their condition to avoid acute, painful crises and other complications of sickle cell syndromes. Before pain becomes a problem, patients can call the Sickle Cell Day Hospital Monday through Friday (8 am–5 pm) for medical help, whether to make an appointment at the Sickle Cell Day Hospital for treatment or make arrangements to go to the emergency department.
To make an appointment at the Sickle Cell Day Hospital at Memorial Regional Hospital, please call 954-265-1400.
- Compassionate care in a quiet, comfortable setting
- Prompt, aggressive treatment for acute pain crises
- Rapid treatment delivery, with the added benefit of avoiding hospital admission
- Reduced cost of care
- Reduced need for hospitalization and fewer visits to the Emergency Department
- Sickle Cell Infusion Center
- Sickle Cell Transition Program for adolescents progressing into adult care
- Simple red blood cell transfusions as well as red blood cell exchange (known as erythrocytepheresis)
- Support and advocacy groups
- Support and expertise of a highly knowledgeable staff