Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute Continues to Lead in Challenging Times
July 21, 2022
Memorial Healthcare System, a South Florida-based academic medical center, continues to grow in size and stature. That’s also true within the system at the Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute, where multidisciplinary teams of clinicians, cardiac fellowship program, and ongoing clinical research trials deliver numerous benefits to the doctors and expanding patient and family audiences they serve.
Memorial manages the most medically-complex patients with advanced and aggressive diseases – ranging from cardiac and vascular interventions in patients with acute thrombosis (i.e., acute myocardial infarctions, strokes, and peripheral vascular thromboses) to providing advanced therapies to those who develop heart failure, while also offering mechanical circulatory support with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for acute cardio-respiratory failure in infant, child, and adult patients.
Memorial Regional Hospital and Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital have each been designated Gold Level Centers of Excellence, receiving the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) Award for Excellence in Life Support.
Looking back, there are numerous examples of impact and accomplishments that Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute clinicians are having:
- Led the region in volume and high-quality outcomes for adult cardiac surgery and electrophysiology and recognized for excellence by the American College of Cardiology’s Heart Failure Accreditation.
- Earned a three-star rating, the highest category of quality, from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons for patient care and outcomes in transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), , mitral valve replacement and repair (MVRR) and MVRR+CABG.
- Performed 80 adult heart transplants.
- Implemented Transcarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR) as a standard for treating carotid artery disease in high-risk, surgical patients.
- Opened new electrophysiology suites to bring innovative approaches to controlling cardiac arrhythmias.
Academically, Memorial’s cardiology program just welcomed its second class of cardiovascular disease fellows and is having significant impact on Graduate Medical Education. In addition, physicians from the Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute are innovating treatment and patient care through research with the Freedom, Harmony, and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) clinical trials.
Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute has become a destination center with best practices in care and outcomes. To make an appointment, call 954-276-5500.