Memorial Hospital Miramar Children's Services
Miramar, FL 33029
About Our Emergency Room
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Emergency Departments are not community testing sites for COVID-19. If your child is experiencing mild symptoms, contact your child’s pediatrician or you can have a virtual visit from your computer or mobile device with MemorialDocNow. If your child is symptomatic or asymptomatic and you would like to have them tested for COVID-19, call 954-276-4680 to schedule an appointment at the C.B. Smith Park drive-through testing site in Pembroke Pines.
If your child is experiencing severe symptoms, including:
- Having a hard time breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- Feeling confused or forgetful
- Not able to stay awake
- Bluish lips or face
Call 911 or visit a pediatric emergency room immediately!
Complete with advanced technology, the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Emergency Department at Memorial Hospital Miramar helps ease a child's fears often associated with a trip to the ER. Its lighthearted atmosphere filled with electric trains, a water-filled bubbling window, TVs, games and color murals helps distract kids from the serious work of the pediatric emergency physicians and registered nurses who work around-the-clock, every day of the year.
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Emergency Department at Memorial Hospital Miramar is Florida’s first emergency department to earn the Certified Autism Center™ (CAC) designation through The International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards (IBCCES). Our physicians, nurses, and patient-facing department staff have completed training and certification to better understand the autism spectrum and strategies for communication, patient interaction, and safety. The emergency department also offers a low sensory room and private exam rooms for patients who have autism or other sensory sensitivities.
For minor child emergencies (patients under 18 years old), you may want to schedule your appointment online. Appointments are available seven days a week for children.
Schedule a Children's Emergency Visit
Pediatric Emergency Guidelines
- Staffed 24 hours a day with dedicated physicians, nurses and support staff, specially trained in pediatric emergency medicine
- Equipment along with our staff can handle a wide variety of emergencies
- Separate emergency entrance, triage, waiting and treatment rooms
- Severity of the illness or injury determines the order children are seen
- Your child will be seen by a registered nurse at the check-in (triage) desk
- Please do not give your child anything to eat or drink until seen by a doctor
- During busy times there may be a wait
- Children with immediate needs are always seen first
- Once evaluated a patient representative will register your child as a patient
Procedures & Tests
- All procedures will be explained to the child and parent or guardian
- Some procedures may be performed in a special treatment room
- It is possible that you may not be able to be present for all procedures
- After any x-ray and/or lab work you will need to wait for the results
- Instructions and follow up care will be discussed with your child and parent/ guardian upon discharge
Can Children Be Treated in the Absence of Parents?
- Except in emergency circumstances consent from a parent is needed for treatment, if child is under 18 years old
- If you are planning a trip and will be away from your child, leave a notarized consent/power of attorney for treatment of your child
- Our Community Relations Department offers power of attorney and Child ID Services. For additional information please call (954) 276-5985.