When your child needs surgery, you want a medical team you can trust to provide the most comprehensive, specialized care. For three decades, thousands of families in South Florida and beyond have turned to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. Our pediatric surgery team has the skills, experience and compassion to treat your child’s health condition and support your family.
Pediatric Surgery at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital: Why Choose Us?
As a comprehensive, free-standing children’s hospital, we’re dedicated to caring for the unique needs of patients through age 21 and their families. We offer:
Datasource: Set Video Source here
- Experienced specialists: We perform thousands of procedures each year — treating the entire spectrum of children’s health needs, from common conditions to rare cases. Our patients travel here from throughout the Southeastern United States and Caribbean.
- A diverse team of problem-solvers: Caring for your child is a team effort that requires the skills, knowledge and compassion of many people. Our specialists work closely together to create the most effective treatment plan for each child. Learn more about our pediatric surgery services.
- Patient- and family-centered care: When we treat your child, we’re also supporting your whole family. We partner with you in making decisions, and we communicate with you often and work to make life as normal as possible for your child. Learn more about patient- and family-centered care at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.
- Emergency surgery: We’re here for your family when every second matters. If your child has an emergency, we have dedicated pediatric surgeons available 24/7. Our surgeons are on call for trauma, cancer, neonatal and pediatric emergencies solely at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, so a member of our team is in the area when needed. As part of the Pediatric Trauma Center at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, our surgeons deliver highly specialized care around the clock. Learn more about our pediatric trauma services.
- A place where kids can be kids: We know surgery can be stressful; so, our team works to make sure your child’s routine feels as “normal” as possible. Our Child Life Program includes certified and compassionate specialists, a dedicated teacher, and even a resident clown named Lotsy Dotsy. We also offer service dogs, “teddy bear tours,” and several play areas.
- A home away from home: When your child is treated in the hospital, your family might need a comfortable environment to rest and recharge. Our on-site Conine Clubhouse offers families somewhere to stay with home-like amenities such as laundry facilities, all free of charge.
- Leadership in our field: Our team conducts clinical outcome-based research, sharing valuable findings with colleagues worldwide. As an academic medical institution, we provide training to general surgery residents and medical students. Our surgeons also advance our field through leadership roles in national pediatric surgical associations.
Pediatric Surgery Services
Our pediatric surgery team performs a wide range of procedures, including:
- Pediatric general surgery: We repair digestive and abdominal organs, such as the esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, appendix and bile ducts. We also can remove growths on or underneath your child’s skin. Learn more about pediatric general surgery.
- Pediatric thoracic surgery: Our surgeons treat the organs inside your child’s chest, including the lungs, esophagus and trachea, or windpipe. We also offer a multidisciplinary clinic for chest wall deformities. Get more information about pediatric thoracic surgery.
- Pediatric urological procedures: Our surgeons repair hernias in the belly, groin, upper abdomen, and abdominal wall. We also correct underdeveloped, or “undescended,” testes in baby boys and perform circumcisions, a routine outpatient procedure. Find out more about pediatric urological procedures.
- Adolescent breast and gynecological surgery: We treat children and adolescents who have conditions affecting their breasts and reproductive organs. Learn more about pediatric breast and gynecological surgery.
- Pediatric head and neck surgery: Our surgeons treat birth defects affecting a child’s head and neck, such as thyroglossal duct cysts and branchial cleft cysts. We can also perform operations to repair or remove a child’s thyroid (a gland in the neck that secretes hormones).
- Neonatal surgery: Our surgeons work closely with our Wasie NICU team to treat a wide range of conditions, including neonatal congenital anomalies. We care for the youngest patients with a highly specialized team and advanced technology. Get more information about neonatal surgery.
- Pediatric laser therapy: If your child experiences chronic skin infections, laser therapy may help. Our surgeons perform this simple, effective procedure on an outpatient basis. Read more about pediatric laser therapy.
- Pediatric cancer surgery: Our surgeons are part of the hospital’s multidisciplinary pediatric cancer and blood disorders group. We treat all types of cancer, including Wilms tumor, hepatoblastoma and neuroblastoma.
- Pediatric trauma surgery: At our Pediatric Trauma Center, we’re equipped to care for your child in life-threatening situations. Our trauma surgeons provide around-the-clock, specialized emergency care, often using minimally invasive procedures.
Pediatric Surgery Locations
We offer convenient access to pediatric care to fit your family’s busy lifestyle. Our surgeons see patients at several locations in Broward, Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties:
To schedule an appointment at any location, call 954-265-0072.