Nephrology (Kidney Care) Services
At Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, our Pediatric Nephrology and Hypertension Program provides outstanding care to infants, children and adolescents with acute and chronic kidney disorders and hypertension. Our top-notch team of pediatric experts provides a high level of kidney care, tailored to what’s best for every patient and family.
Our Pediatric Dialysis Center: Why Choose Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital?
Dialysis is a life-sustaining treatment that can continue the kidneys' functions when they stop working. Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital has Broward County's only on-site dialysis center designed just for children.
At our pediatric dialysis center, we offer hemodialysis, which filters blood using a dialysis machine, and peritoneal dialysis, which filters blood through the abdomen with the help of a catheter.
Patients and families benefit from our:
- Dedicated care team: Our team includes board-certified physicians and nurses with special training in pediatric dialysis. We closely monitor all aspects of a child's overall health, growth and development.
- Transplant expertise: With more than 30 years of combined experience, the members of our kidney transplant team offer pediatric kidney transplant services in a caring, child-friendly environment. Learn more about pediatric kidney transplant.
- Team approach: Dialysis requires a team approach. At Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, we encourage information sharing and collaboration between our medical team and families. Our specialists work closely with your child's pediatrician and with you to coordinate treatment plans that work for your lifestyle and circumstances.
- Pediatric support services: Pediatric dialysis social workers and child life specialists use play, pets and music to connect with children and help minimize the psychological impact of a serious medical condition or hospital stay. A teacher from Broward County Public Schools is available to help children work through extended school absences.
- Family-centered approach: Every member of our team strongly believes that involving families and giving them a voice best serves the needs of children. We offer training for home dialysis, and we educate families about local resources that can help them manage the impact of kidney disease on their lives.
Other Pediatric Nephrology Services
We offer a full range of pediatric nephrology services to treat both acute and chronic kidney diseases affecting children of all ages. We offer:
- Percutaneous kidney (renal) biopsy
- Continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH)
- Continuous veno-venous hemofiltration with dialysis (CVVHD)
- Pediatric kidney transplantation
To schedule an appointment or learn more about our outstanding kidney care team, call 954-265-9344.