Why Choose Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital?
Dialysis is a life-sustaining treatment that can continue the kidneys' functions when they stop working. Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital has Broward County's only on-site dialysis center designed just for children.
At our pediatric dialysis center, we offer hemodialysis (which filters and cleans blood using a dialysis machine) and peritoneal dialysis (which filters and cleans blood through the abdomen with the help of a catheter). We provide training for home peritoneal dialysis along with monitoring the efficiency of this form of treatment.
Patients and families benefit from our:
- Dedicated care team: Our team includes board-certified physicians and pediatric nurses with special training in pediatric dialysis, including peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis.
- Team approach: Dialysis requires a team approach. At Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, we emphasize communication and collaboration between our medical team and families. Our specialists work closely with your child's pediatrician and with you to coordinate treatment plans that work for your lifestyle and circumstances.
- Pediatric support services: Pediatric dialysis social workers and child life specialists use play, trained therapy dogs, and music to connect with children and help minimize the psychological impact of a serious medical condition or hospital stay. A teacher from Broward County Public Schools is available to help children work through extended school absences.
- Family-centered approach: Every member of our team strongly believes that involving families and giving them a voice best serves the needs of children. We offer training for home dialysis, and we educate families about local resources that can help them manage the impact of kidney disease on their lives.
- Preparation for kidney transplant: We evaluate children for potential kidney transplant. As a transplant center, we provide care that is consolidated under one roof for your convenience.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about our outstanding kidney care team, call 954-265-9344.