Kidney Care (Nephrology)
Kidney diseases can affect a child's quality of life in different ways. At Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, our Pediatric Nephrology and Hypertension Program offers the medical expertise and support your child needs.
Our experienced team of pediatric nephrologists and other specialists provides comprehensive, compassionate care to infants, children and adolescents with acute and chronic kidney disorders and hypertension — all in an environment designed especially for younger patients.
Pediatric Nephrology at JDCH: Why Choose Us?
Based in Hollywood, Florida, our pediatric nephrology team provides outstanding kidney care that’s tailored to every child and family.
- Full-service kidney care: Our team includes board-certified physicians and nurses who have received special training in pediatric dialysis. They work closely with each child's pediatrician to coordinate treatment plans and monitor all aspects of a child's health. We offer the area's only pediatric dialysis on-site with pediatric kidney transplantation. Learn more about our kidney care services.
- Top-notch specialists: Our doctors have years of experience diagnosing and treating pediatric kidney disorders, hypertension and metabolic bone disorders. What's more, they're committed to providing the highest-quality care to every child.
- Family-centered approach: We realize the vital role that family plays in a child's health and well-being. Every member of our team strongly believes that involving families and giving them a voice best serves the needs of children.
- Pediatric support services: Pediatric dialysis social workers and child life specialists use play, pets and music to connect with children and help minimize the psychological impact of a serious medical condition or hospital stay. A teacher from Broward County Public Schools is available to help children work through extended school absences.
- Child-friendly environment: Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital is designed with the needs of children in mind. Our interactive play area has toys and other activities to help entertain young patients. There's also an outdoor playground, and if children get hungry, we offer a healthy, kid-friendly menu.
To schedule an appointment or learn more about our outstanding pediatric kidney care team, call 954-265-9344.
Conditions We Treat
- Electrolyte abnormalities
- Hyperpotassemia (also called hyperkalemia)
- Hypopotassemia (also called hypokalemia)
- Kidney stones
- Kidney transplant
- Metabolic bone disease and mineral metabolism (abnormalities in bone formation, and disorders of Calcium and Phosphorus balance)
- Nephritis (various forms)
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Renal failure or renal insufficiency (also known as kidney insufficiency)
- Voiding problems, i.e., difficulties with urination, such as urinary incontinence (in conjunction with our pediatric urology colleagues)
- Percutaneous renal biopsy
- Inpatient and outpatient dialysis (hemodialysis), or training for overnight at-home dialysis (peritoneal dialysis)
- Continuous Veno-Venous Hemofiltration (CVVH)
- Continuous Veno-Venous Hemofiltration with Dialysis (CVVHD)
- Coordinated treatment plans that include your child's pediatrician, as well as pediatric endocrinologists, pediatric urologists, child life specialists, social workers, dietitians and other medical professionals
- Monitoring and evaluation of your child's overall health, growth and development
- Initial testing, preparation and referrals for kidney transplantation, along with postsurgical follow-up
- Referrals to a variety of community resources that can expand your knowledge of kidney disease and assist you in managing it