Kristina Wiers-Shamir, MD
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Hollywood, FL 33021
I am a pediatric rheumatologist at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis/Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Juvenile Dermatomyositis, periodic fever syndromes. Behcet's Disease, Henoch-Schonlein Purpura, Kawasaki Disease, Vasculitis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Acute Rhuematic Fever, Post-Streptococcal Reactive Arthritis, Hypermobility Syndrome, Uveitis, Chronic Non-bacterial Osteomyelitis/Chronic Recurrent Osteomyelitis, and other rheumatologic conditions.
I chose to specialize in pediatric rheumatology because it is one of the few fields that still rely on clinical examination and listening to the patient. A patient’s insight, story and experience are just as important as the laboratory and imaging data. Rheumatology is also an exciting field with new discoveries and treatment options being developed all the time.
Rheumatologic conditions are chronic conditions, so I see my patients often and really get to know them and their families. It’s incredibly rewarding to be able to help these children by understanding their disorder and offering treatment therapies tailored to their specific diagnosis. I also believe that one of the best ways to care for children is to make the family part of the health care team.
Meet Dr. Wiers-Shamir
- Ross University School Of Medicine, 2002
- Maimonides Medical Center, 2005, Pediatrics
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, 2008, Pediatric Rheumatology
American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
- American College of Rheumatology
- Florida Society of Rheumatology
At Joe DiMaggio, I’m collaborating with the nephrology department to begin clinical research to better understand and explore more treatment options for patients with Childhood-Onset Systemic Lupus and Lupus Nephritis.
My previous research focused on mycophenolate treatment in lupus nephritis, identifying useful biomarkers for lupus nephritis and identifying health-related quality of life measures in lupus.
- Pediatric Associates Continuing Education Presentation:
- Cutaneous Manifestations of Rheumatic Diseases, 2016
- Periodic Fever, Aphthous Stomatitis Pharyngitis, Adenitis (PFAPA), 2015
- Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Presentations
- Case Presentation: Granulomatosis with Polyangitis (Wegener’s Granulomatosis), 2013
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, 2012
- 2nd Annual Thomas F Boat Lectures – Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, 2008
- Neutrophil Gelatinase Associated Lipocalin as a Biomarker of Disease Activity in Pediatric Lupus, 2008