Heather Spader, MD
Heather Spader, a board-eligible neurosurgeon, earned her medical degree in 2007 from Sanford School of Medicine at the University of South Dakota in Vermillion, South Dakota, where she graduated summa cum laude. Dr. Spader then completed an internship in surgery in 2008, her residency in neurosurgery in 2013, and served as chief resident of neurosurgery in 2014 — all at Rhode Island Hospital through Brown University’s Warren Alpert Medical School, where she had also served as an instructor in Brain Sciences and a guest lecturer in Neuroanatomy. She completed fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery in 2015 at Primary Children’s Hospital through the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, Utah.
In 2015, Dr. Spader joined Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Memorial Physician Group in the Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
- University Of South Dakota School Of Medicine, 2007
- Brown Univ Som-Rhode Island Hospital, 2008, Surgery
- Brown University Program, 2014, Neurosurgery
- University Of Utah/Primary Children's Med Ctr, 2015, Pediatric Neurosurgery
Awards and Honors
- Melvyn Gelch Neurosurgery Resident Education Fellowship, 2013
- AANS/CNS Resident Traveling Fellowship in Pediatric Neurosurgery, 2011
- Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, University of South Dakota, 2007
- Donald L. Alcott Award for Clinical Promise, University of South Dakota, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Member, University of South Dakota, 2006
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, Member, University of South Dakota, 2006
- Karl H. Wegner Award for Excellence in Pathology, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Kelsey Award for Excellence in Pharmacology, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Lulu B. Wheeler Scholarship for Academic Performance, University of South Dakota, 2005
- Satish Koneru Award for Excellence in Physiology, University of South Dakota, 2004
- Golden Key National Honor Society, University of Virginia, 1995-1997
- Echols Scholar, University of Virginia, 1993-1997
- Class of 1997 Trustee, University of Virginia
- AANS/CNS Section on Pediatrics
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Original Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Spader HS, Ratanaprasatporn L, Morrison JF, Grossberg JA, Cosgrove GR. Programmable shunts and headphones: Are they safe together? J Neurosurg Pediatr:1–4, 2015.
- Ratanaprasatporn L, Spader H, Grossberg J, Klinge P: Pituitary necrosis and vasospasm following removal of craniopharyngioma. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery 2:26–28, 2015.
- Spader HS, Hertzler DA, Kestle JR, Riva-Cambrin J. Risk factors for infection and the effect of an institutional shunt protocol on the incidence of ventricular access device infections in preterm infants. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2014 Dec 5:1-5.
- Vasudevan K, Grossberg JA, Spader HS, Torabi R, Oyelese AA. Age increases the risk of immediate postoperative dysphagia and pneumonia after odontoid screw fixation. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2014 Nov;126:185-9.
- Rogg J, Spader H, Wilcox BJ, Ellermeier A, Correira S, Chodobski A,Szmydynger-Chodobska J, Raukar N, Machan JT, LaFrance WC Jr, Crisco JJ; Brown University Traumatic Brain Injury Research Consortium. The Brown University Traumatic Brain Injury Research Consortium and the Norman Prince Neurosciences Institute. R I Med J (2013). 2014 May 1;97(5):22-6.
- Brinker T, Spader H. A translational view of Peptide treatment of neurological disorders. Curr Med Chem. 2014;21(23):2583-90.
- Ratanaprasatporn L, Grossberg JA, Spader HS, Jayaraman MV. Endovascular treatment of acute carotid occlusion. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2013 Dec;115(12):2521-3.
- Spader HS, Grossberg JA, Haas RA, Soares GM. Fundamentals of the neurologic examination for patients undergoing central nervous system interventional procedures. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2013 Sep;30(3):240-4
- Ratanaprasatporn L, Grossberg J, Spader H, Jayaraman M. Endovascular Treatment of Acute Carotid Occlusion. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 115 (2013) 2521-2523.
- Spader H, Grossberg JA, Haas R, Soares G. Fundamentals of the Neurologic Exam in Patients with CNS Interventional Procedures. Semin Intervent Radiol 2013; 30 (03): 240-244
- Spader H, Ellermeier A, Walker L, Rogg J, Cosgrove R, Deoni S. 170 Myelination and diffusion tensor imaging findings in mild traumatic brain injury. Neurosurgery. 2013 Aug;60 Suppl 1:176-7.
- Spader HS, Ellermeier A, O'Muircheartaigh J, Dean DC 3rd, Dirks H, Boxerman JL, Cosgrove GR, Deoni SC. Advances in myelin imaging with potential clinical application to pediatric imaging. Neurosurg Focus. 2013 Apr;34(4):E9.
- Spader H, Grossberg J, Oyelese AA. Surgery in the treatment of lower back pain II--lumbar stenosis and disc herniations. Med Health R I. 2012 Dec;95(12):384,390.
- Doberstein CE, Goldman MA, Grossberg JA, Spader HS. The safety and feasibility of outpatient carotid endarterectomy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012 Feb;114(2):108-11.
- Vasudevan K, Spader HS, Grossberg JA, Murphy T, Jayaraman MV. Successful endovascular treatment of a holo-hemispheric cerebral arteriovenous fistula in an infant. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012 Sep;4(5):e26.
- Cielo D, Spader H, Grossberg J. Acute low back pain: imaging, treatment, and referral. Med Health R I. 2011 Apr;94(4):105-6.
- Spader HS, Doberstein CE, Rao AJ, Jayaraman MV. Central fever as an early predictor of vasospasm in a child with isolated intraventricular hemorrhage. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2011 Feb;113(2):146-9.
- Spader H, Lankhorst M, Miller L, Zaidi S, Vogt HB. Health screenings by medical students at the Banquet: January 2006 to July 2006. S D Med. 2007 Jan;60(1):19, 21.
- Elias NM, Wilson RE, Olson EC, Aufdenberg JP, Guinan EF, Gudel M, van Hamme WV and Stevens [Spader] HL. New Perspectives on AX Monocerotis. The Astrophysical Journal, 484:394-411, 1997 July 20.
Peer-Reviewed Publications in Progress
- Ratanaprasatporn L, Spader H, Grossberg J, Klinge P. Pituitary Apoplexy and Vasospasm Following Removal of Craniopharyngioma. (In progress)
- Hertzler DA, Spader H, Kestle J, Riva-Cambrin, J. Impact of an Institutional Shunt Protocol on the Incidence of Ventricular Reservoir Infection in Preterm Infants. (In progress)
- Scoliosis and Chiari I Malformations. Brockmeyer D and Spader H in The Chiari Malformations. Tubbs and Oakes (Eds.), May 2013.
- Brockmeyer DL, Spader HS. Complex Chiari Malformations in Children: Diagnosis and Management. Neurosurg. Clin. N. Am.2015.
- Ventricular Shunts for Hydrocephalus. Spader H and Riva-Cambrin J. in Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery, Second Edition, Mattei et al (Eds.) in press.
- Spader H, Kulkarni A, Warf B, Mugamba J, Ssenyonga P, Riva-Cambrin J. Attitudes Regarding Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy and Choroid Plexus Coagulation (ETV+CPC) and the Effect of Training at CURE Children’s Hospital, Uganda Among North American Pediatric Neurosurgeons. Oral presentation at Hydrocephalus 2015. Calgary, Canada.
- Spader H, O’Muircheartaigh J, Ellermeier A, Cosgrove GR, Deoni SC. Myelin Imaging in Epilepsy. Heilbrun Research Symposium. University of Utah. Salt Lake City, UT. June 2015.
- Spader H, O’Muircheartaigh J, Ellermeier A, Cosgrove GR, Deoni SC. Myelin Imaging Applications in Neurosurgery. Annual Neurosurgery in the Rockies. Beaver Creek, CO. February, 2015.
- Spader H. In Utero Repair of Fetal Myelomeningocele. Neonatal ICU Grand Rounds. Primary Children’s Hospital. December 2014.
- Spader H, Walker L, Cabeen, R, Rogg J, Deoni S. A Prospective Study Comparing Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) and Quantitative Myelination Patterns in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI). Accepted for oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2014.
- Spader H, Ellermeier A, Walker L, Rogg J, Cosgrove R, Deoni S. Myelination and Diffusion Tensor Imaging Findings in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Oral presentation at the CNS Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Ellermeier A, Spader H, Jethani Z, Machan J, LaFrance WC, Rogg et al. Clinical Implications of Early 3T-MR with Susceptibility Weighted (SWI) and Blood Flow (ASL) in Traumatic Brain Injury: Preliminary Report. Oral presentation at Radiological Society of North America, 2013.
- Spader HS, Deoni SC, Dean D, Muircheartaigh J, Boxerman J, Tracy M, Gaitanis J, Cosgrove GR. Using a Novel Myelin Imaging Technique to Identify Previously Occult Seizure Foci. Oral presentation at the AANS Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Spader H, Bollo R, Walker M, Riva-Cambrin J. Risk Factors for Baclofen Pump Infection: A Multivariate Analysis. Oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2012.
- Spader H, Piryatinsky I, Salloway S, Malloy P, Klinge P. Do we need comprehensive cognitive test batteries in the post TAP and post surgical evaluation of patients? Oral presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Spader HS, Grossberg J, Morrison JF, Stani T, Klinge PM. Programmable Shunts and Headphones: Are they Safe? Results from a Bench Study. Poster presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Hertzler D, Spader H, Kestle, J, Riva-Cambrin J. Impact of an Institutional Shunt Protocol on the Incidence of Ventricular Reservoir Infection in Preterm Infants. Oral presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spurgeon A, Spader HS, Neither Hydrocephalus nor the Pre-Resection use of External Ventricular Drains are associated with Cerebellar Mutism. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spader HS, Boxerman J, Mandelbaum D, Exil G, Eberson C, Rogg J, Klinge PM. Coagulation of cerebellar tonsils and far lateral foramen magnum opening without dural grafting for decompression of Chiari I. Oral presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting 2011 and the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section, 2011.
- Spader HS, Sullivan S, Hoy E, Klinge PM. Fenestration and split calvarial bone graft cranioplasty for treatment of a frontal arachnoid cyst with skull defect. Poster presentation at the International Society for Hydrocephalus and Cerebrospinal Fluid Disorders Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Grossberg J, Spader H, Oyelese A. Use of the Mayfield Frame Facilitates Trajectory in Anterior Odontoid Screw. Poster presentation at the AANS Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Grossberg J, Spader H, Oyelese A. Age Increases the Risk of Postoperative Dysphagia and Aspiration After Anterior Odontoid Screw Fixation. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, 2011.
- Spader H, Grossberg J, Murphy T, Feit L, Jayaraman M. Successful Endovascular Treatment of a Holo-Hemispheric Cerebral Arteriovenous Fistula in an Infant. Poster presentation at the AANS/CNS Pediatric Section Meeting, 2010 and the Lifespan Research Celebration 2011.
- Doberstein C, Goldman M, Grossberg J, Spader H. The Safety and Feasibility of Same Day Discharge After Carotid Endarterectomy. Poster presentation at the CNS Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Miller MC, Spader H, Harmening K, Heile A, Pascale CL, Johanson CE, Brinker T, Silverberg GD, Klinge PM, Microglial downregulation in a double transgenic mouse model associated with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease (AD) after intraventricular implantation of alginate encapsulated Glukagon-like-peptide-1 (GLP-1) producing human mesenchymal stem cells. Presented at the 17th Annual Lifespan Hospital Research Celebration, 2009.
- PJ Ronan, L Callahan, MD Berven, MC Hansen, HL Spader, K Tschetter. Local Knockdown Of Corticotropin-Releasing Factor In The Rat Central Nucleus Of The Amygdala Using RNA Interference Program No. 889.19. 2005 Washington, DC: Society for Neuroscience, 2005.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Child Maltreatment Medico-Legal Terminology and Interpretation of Medical Findings: A Consensus of Medical and Legal Child Practitioners in the Philippines. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2002.
- The Care Continuum for Child Abuse and Neglect: A Physician’s Guide. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2001.
- Examining the Mandatory Death Penalty for Familial Child Rape Perpetrators: An Academic Treatise for Physicians. The Advisory Board Foundation, Manila, Philippines, 2001.