Lazaro Hernandez, MD
Acting Medical Director, Pediatric Echocardiogram Program
I am a board-certified pediatric cardiologist with training in advanced cardiac imaging/cardiac MRI, and the medical director of the Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac MRI program at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital.
I perform cardiac MRIs and echocardiograms on pediatric patients with a variety of congenital and acquired heart diseases. I have also introduced newly developed cardiac MRI sequences only performed in a few pediatric hospitals across the country, including the stress-perfusion cardiac MRI, at Joe DiMaggio.
As an imaging cardiologist, I get to help identify anatomic problems in a child's heart. This information and the images I capture help us to guide the medical management and also provide a better understanding for surgeons planning a procedure.
At Memorial, we work as a team to support and care for children and their families. Our goal is always to try to resolve the health concerns of a child, in turn improving their quality of life and that of their family.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Hernandez
- Instituto Superior De Ciencias Medicas De Villa Cl, 1996
- University Of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2011, Pediatrics
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, 2012, Pediatrics
- University Of Minnesota, 2015, Pediatric Cardiology
- American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatric Cardiology
- American Board of Pediatrics-Pediatrics
- Reviewer: Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Imaging: 2016-present.
- Reviewer: Journal of Society of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging: 2016-present.
- Reviewer: Cardiology in the Young: 2015-present.
- Fellow investigator award. University of Minnesota 2015
- Young investigator award. American Society of Echocardiography 2016
- American College of Cardiology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Recent research projects include:
- 4D flow in Fontan Patients. A cardiac MRI study.
- Enduring Heart Grant: Cardiac MRI Assessment of Rejection and Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy in Pediatric Heart Transplant Recipients.
- Does myocardial scarring identify patients at risk in childhood hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? A multicenter study
- Regadenoson-induced microvascular dysfunction in children with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Society of Cardiac MRI meeting. Washington 2017.
- Synthetic hematocrit derived from the longitudinal relaxation of blood can lead to clinically significant errors in measurement of extracellular volume fraction in pediatric and young adult patients. Society of Cardiac MRI meeting. Washington 2017.
- Global left ventricular relaxation: a useful predictive echocardiographic marker of heart transplant rejection and recovery in children. ASE meeting. Seattle 2016.
- Total Lymphoid Irradiation to Successfully Treat Refractory Rejection in Heart Transplant Recipients. Poster Presentation 35th Annual Meeting of ISHLT, April 2015, Nice, France.
- Global Left Ventricular Relaxation. A Novel tissue Doppler Index of acute ejection in Pediatric Heart Transplantation. Oral presentation 34th Annual Meeting of ISHLT, April 2014, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Impact of Cardiac MRI in the Instruction of Left Ventricular Assessment by 3D Echocardiography. Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, Columbia University, New York. Poster Presentation at 24th Annual Echo Hawaii-ASE, January 20-24, 2014.2013.