Dennis Hart, MD
Chief, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital
I am a pediatric physiatrist and chief of Pediatric Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I care for patients with developmental disabilities or patients recovering from neurological or orthopedic injuries such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, peripheral nerve injury, spasticity and other conditions that require rehabilitation.
I also lead the Rehabilitation Center where I am growing a multidisciplinary team of pediatric experts to provide comprehensive and compassionate care for all children.
Throughout my career and training, while providing general pediatric rehabilitation services, I also specialized in treating children with chronic pain. These children often have complex challenges that can be difficult to treat. I’m able to blend my expertise in pain management with physical medicine to help them improve their function, feel better, and be able to resume the activities and hobbies that they love.
My ultimate goal is to help children lead happier lives by working towards meaningful milestones that will improve their quality of life.
I really enjoy developing long-term relationships with the children I treat and their families. When a child has chronic pain or a disability, it affects the whole family. I involve families in their child’s care and offer any additional support when possible. As a father to two children with autism, I have a unique advantage of understanding and relating to the challenges parents of children with special needs face each day.
In addition to my roles at Memorial, I was also appointed by the Governor to serve on the board of directors for the Florida Developmental Disabilities Council and have been volunteering with the group since 2019.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Hart
- University of Texas Health Science Center, 1992
- University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine, 1993, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- University Of Kentucky College Of Medicine, 1996, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- University Of California (Davis), 1997, Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Tampa Magazine Top Doctors, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2019
- Tampa Magazine Top Doctors, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2018
- Clinical Excellence in Service and Professionalism, Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, 2016
- Peripheral Nerve Society
- American Pain Society
- American Association for Physician Leadership
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
In addition to providing patient care, I also participate in clinical research to advance treatment options for children with a variety of injuries and disabilities.
My clinical research interests include:
- Pediatric pain management
- Function outcomes in children and adolescents with chronic pain
- Evaluating the relationship between mental health and chronic pain
- Etiology and treatment of chronic widespread pain in patients with small fiber neuropathy, dysautonomia, postural orthostatic tachycardia and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Pain Management in Patients with Complex Medical Issues, JHACH 8th Annual Practical Topics in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 2020
- Small Fiber Neuropathy, JHACH Annual Pediatric Brain Symposium, 2019
- Effect of Chronic Pain on sleep, JHACH Clinical Updates in Pediatrics: Neuroscience-related Conditions, 2018
- Management of Chronic Pain in Children, Florida Suncoast Pediatrics Conference Dennis A. Hart, M.D., 2017
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia, Florida Suncoast Pediatrics Conference, 2017
- Management of Brachial Plexus Injury, JHACH Clinical Updates in Pediatrics: Neuroscience related Conditions, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy Applications in Cerebral Palsy, Florida Suncoast Pediatrics Conference, 2015
- Roll of Physiatry in Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury Management, Trauma Nurses JHACH, 2014
- Spasticity in Children with Cerebral Palsy, Pediatric Grand Rounds, Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, 2013
- Transition to Adulthood for Patients with Disabilities, Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, 2012