Carmen Ballestas, MD
I am a hematologist/oncologist at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. I treat children with a variety of conditions including leukemia, solid tumors, sarcomas, benign hematologic disorders, benign tumors and coagulation defects.
I learned very early on in my medical training that I wanted to work caring for children. I am inspired by the way children face complex health conditions with grace, optimism and fierce resilience.
In addition to patient care, I also led Joe DiMaggio’s efforts to obtain accreditation as a Pediatric Cancer Program recognized by the Commission on Cancer, a program of the American College of Surgeons that recognizes cancer programs for their commitment to provide comprehensive, high-quality and multidisciplinary patient-centered care. I continue to serve as chairwoman in this position as we continue to expand and improve our services for patients.
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Ballestas
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center, 2006, Pediatrics
- University Of Alabama Medical Center, 2009, Pediatric Oncology and Hematology
- “Identification of Leukemia Stem cells associated with AML1-ETO through characterization of oncogene-induced changes in cell surface profiles in hematopoitic stem cells,” abstract, ASH meeting, 2008
- Outstanding First-year Pediatric Resident, TTUHSC, 2003-2004
- Chief Resident Pediatrics, TTUHSC, 2005-2006
- Chairman Award, TTUHSC, 2006
- Magic Moment Fellow, 2006-2007
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society of Hematology
I am also interested in researching treatment options and therapies for various types of leukemia, sarcomas and hematologic disorders.