We can take everyday actions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Regular and proper hand-washing removes coronavirus and other germs to help you avoid getting sick and prevent the spread of germs to others.
To make proper hand-washing fun, sing the chorus of your favorite song or find a way to turn hand-washing into a game. Singing “Happy Birthday” twice is the perfect amount of time — 20 seconds. A quick Google search will help you find other popular songs you can sing.
It’s especially important to use proper hand-washing after you have been in a public place like the grocery store. Of course, always wash your hands after using the bathroom, blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing, as well as before and after you eat.
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital recommends six simple steps for proper hand-washing:
- Wet your hands with clean water
- Apply soap and rub them together
- Don’t forget between your fingers, fingertips, the back of your hands and even your wrists
- Scrub like this for at least 20 seconds
- Rinse using clean, running water
- Dry your hands using a clean towel
Children learn by example, so you can be a good role model for your kids by washing your hands properly.