Edwin Cruz-Zeno, MD
I am a pediatric physiatrist at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital where I treat patients with spasticity, gait disorders and functional disabilities. This includes patients with cerebral palsy, spina bifida and those affected by trauma, who may have traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
I also specialize in procedural interventions for patients with spasticity, including botulinum toxin and alcohol chemodenervation injections, and Intrathecal Baclofen Pump management.
Growing up, I was a track and field athlete and was always interested in how people overcame injuries, and returned to the track as fast and as strong as possible. It led me to a career in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, which focuses on helping people return to their peak performance and helping those born with disabilities reach their maximum potential.
I love working with pediatric patients because I get to help them to reach, or return to, their highest functional abilities. I also get to work closely with their families, whom I believe play a critical role in their care. Together, we create a personalized plan to help each patient succeed.
Prior to moving to South Florida, I worked in Connecticut where I was an attending physician and medical director of the Rehabilitation Medicine Program at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center I also ran my own private practice for 12 years and was an attending pediatric physiatrist at Danbury Hospital while living in Connecticut. I have also been affiliated with academic institutions including the University of Connecticut School of Medicine and New York Medical College. I enjoy teaching – and learning from – the next generation of doctors through residency, fellowship and other programs at Memorial Healthcare System.
When I am not working, I enjoy the outdoors, and being involved in my children's school's sports program and with Scouting BSA (formerly known as Boy Scouts of America).
Related Medical Services
Meet Dr. Cruz-Zeno
- University Of Puerto Rico School Of Medicine, 1989
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1993, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital, 1994, Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation-Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Erin Goode, DO; Jesse Sturm, MD, MPH; Edwin Cruz-Zeno, MD: Adverse Event Rate in Sedation for Botulinum Toxin Injection in Pediatric Patients with Spasticity.
Abstract/Poster presentation at the 2018 Society for Pediatric Sedation Conference in Atlanta, GA, May 20-23, 2018
- de Araujo M, Cruz-Zeno ER, Basewicz - Sokol B, Bartalos E: Dog Bite Injury in a Below Elbow Amputation Due to Occlusion of Brachial Artery: A Case presentation and Review of Literature.
Abstract presented at the 1998 American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Annual Assembly - Seattle, WA
- Boy Scouts of America District Award of Merit, 2016
- United Cerebral Palsy Fellowship Award, 1993 - 1994
- Class Treasurer Medical School, 1987-1988
- Physical Diagnosis Medical Course Class Representative, 1986-1987
- Magna Cum Laude, BS Biology University of Puerto Rico, 1985
- Recipient of the University Letter - Track & Field, 1983, 1985
- Founder and President UPR Track & Field Association, 1984 - 85
- Delegate to the Puerto Rico Track & Field Federation Annual Convention, 1985
- Puerto Rico National Junior Track & Field Team Captain & Flag Carrier - V Central American & Caribbean Junior Track & Field Championship - Bridgeport, Barbados, 1982
- Gold Medal 400 Meters Hurdles - IV Central American & Caribbean Junior Track & Field Championship - Nassau, Bahamas, 1980
- Valedictorian High School Senior Class, 1981
- Honorable Mention by the YOUNG AMERICAN MEDALS COMMITTEE FOR SERVICE TO MY FELLOW issued by the Office of Attorney General of the US Department of Justice, 1980
- Puerto Rico Junior Track & Field Athlete of the Year 1977, 1979, 1980