Radiology and Medical Imaging
The Department of Pediatric Radiology at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital knows children are not simply smaller adults. Our advanced technology and extensive training helps us deliver safe, compassionate care in a nonthreatening environment. Dedicated technologists, nurses, support staff and board-certified pediatric radiologists are here for your family, 24/7.
We are proud to participate in a nationwide initiative called Image Gently®, a program of the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging. This demonstrates our commitment to lowering and limiting radiation exposure in children.
In addition, we are accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) as a Diagnostic Imaging Center of Excellence, and are proud to offer the highest level of image quality and safety to our pediatric patients.
Please call the numbers below for the following:
- Schedule an appointment: 954-276-5500
- Radiology department: 954-265-5881
- Billing questions? Contact Radiology Associates of Hollywood: 954-437-4800
Advanced Imaging Services
Datasource: Set Video Source here
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital’s advanced radiology technology allows us to offer innovative and safe pediatric imaging services. Each piece of equipment is designed for pediatric use and provides accurate images using “as low as reasonably achievable” (ALARA) doses of radiation. Below are some examples of the pediatric imaging procedures we offer:
- Fluoroscopy – An advanced X-ray procedure that uses a continuous beam to show a moving image, like an X-ray movie.
- Interventional radiology – Minimally invasive procedures that can sometimes prevent a child from having anesthesia or surgery.
- Nuclear medicine – Imaging technology that uses small amounts of radioactive material to diagnose and determine the severity of many diseases.
- CT (computed tomography) scans – Nuclear medicine that produces multiple images and cross-section or three-dimensional views to show the inside of the body in far greater detail than X-rays.
- PET (positron emission tomography) – A type of nuclear medicine that measures important body functions, like blood flow.
- Pediatric MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) – A powerful imaging technology that uses magnetic fields, radiofrequency pulses and computers to diagnose and treat children.
- Ultrasound imaging – Also known as sonography, this scan uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images inside the body.
- X-rays – Noninvasive test that uses small amounts of radiation to produce images of bones.
Specialized Care for Children
Children and families who need to visit the pediatric radiology department may be unsure of what to expect. We do everything that we can to alleviate fear, soothe anxiety and make your imaging experience more comfortable for you and your child. Special amenities at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Hollywood include:
- Valet parking
- Specialized pediatric sedation
- A child life specialist to guide you every step of the way
- A pirate-themed CT scanning room, where kids get to “walk the plank” and are cared for by “pirates,” complete with swords and parrots
- A model CT scanner, where children can “scan” a teddy bear to prepare for the experience
- Hospital-wide programs like clown therapy, “Pet-a-Pet,” playrooms and “Tu-Tu Tuesdays” to add smiles to difficult times
Nearby Children's Radiology Centers
We offer pediatric imaging services at several locations in Broward and Palm Beach counties. To schedule an appointment at any location, call 954-276-5500.
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Health Specialty Center in Wellington
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital (Hollywood)
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, MRI Center, Coral Springs Office
- Memorial Hospital West (Pembroke Pines)
- Medical Office Building, Memorial Hospital Miramar
Our Child Life Specialists help children to maintain a normal life during their stay at the hospital.
With one phone call, our team of pediatric concussion experts is ready to help.
Our emergency rooms offer advanced medical care for children in a child-friendly environment.