Pediatric Heart Services
Pediatric heart services at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital help support diagnosing and treating children of all ages.
We bring a patient- and family-centered care approach to all that we do. We are with children and their families every step of the way, including providing intensive care after surgery. We work with families to learn about genetic risks and can diagnose fetal heart conditions during pregnancy. We also have a strong adult congenital heart disease program, to serve the growing population of adults with a history of congenital heart disease.
Pediatric Heart Services at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital
From fetal diagnosis through young adults who graduate into the adult congenital heart disease program, our heart services support the full spectrum of care at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital Heart Institute. Learn more about the heart services we offer, which include:
- Heart imaging: Heart imaging helps us see inside a child’s heart. We use advanced imaging technologies to diagnose congenital heart conditions and determine the best treatment. Cardiac imaging allows us to visualize the heart during a procedure. Imaging tests are also a regular part of follow-up. Find out more about heart imaging.
- Cardiac intensive care unit (CICU): A specially trained team of doctors, nurses and other specialists provides constant monitoring in our 12-bed cardiac ICU. Here, we care for infants, children and young adults after surgery or other procedures. We also take care of children who are waiting for a heart transplant and need careful monitoring. Read more about the cardiac ICU.
- ECMO: We use extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) to treat critically ill children whose lungs and hearts are weak or need time to recover. Children on ECMO receive care in our cardiac ICU. Learn more about how we use ECMO.
- Fetal diagnosis & management: We can diagnose congenital heart conditions as early as the 12th week of pregnancy. When we diagnose a baby’s heart condition in utero, we provide complete support for mother and baby. Find out more about fetal diagnosis and management.
- Genetic evaluation & counseling: Some heart conditions have a genetic component. Through genetic testing and specialized counseling, we help families get answers about genetic causes and risks. Learn about genetic evaluation and counseling.
- Adult congenital heart disease: In addition to taking care of children with congenital heart disease, we also treat adults who were born with a congenital heart condition. Adults with a history of congenital heart disease need to see a congenital heart specialist, not just a cardiologist. Learn more about the adult congenital heart disease program.
To schedule an appointment or learn about our award-winning pediatric heart team, call 954-265-3437.