Kaimal Jayakumar, MD
I am a pediatric cardiologist at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, where I care for children with congenital heart disease, vascular thrombosis and other heart conditions and concerns. I also specialize in fetal cardiology and fetal echocardiography, which can detect heart conditions in unborn babies.
Before joining Memorial Healthcare System, I was director of the Fetal Cardiology Program and director of Inpatient Pediatric Cardiology at Sanger Heart and Vascular Institute in North Carolina. I was also a pediatric and fetal cardiologist at Levine Children's Hospital, part of the Carolinas HealthCare System.
In addition to providing patient care, I also enjoy teaching pediatric residents, pediatric cardiology fellows, young physicians and OB sonographers. Throughout my career, I have taught at New York Presbyterian Hospital, The University Hospitals of Columbia and Cornell, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, the University of Virginia and Carolinas HealthCare System.
I am also a member of the International Children's Heart Foundation, where I participate in trips to developing countries to provide care for children with congenital heart disease.
- Madras Medical College, 1986
- Madras Medical College, 1987
- Connecticut Children's Medical Center, 1998, Pediatrics
- Boston Children's Hospital, 2001, Pediatric Cardiology
- Robert J. Roberts Faculty Achievement award in Pediatrics, University of Virginia, 2010
- Award for Clinical Excellence, Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, 2008
- International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Society of Echocardiography
Throughout my career, I have been involved in clinical research. I established a clinical research program at Sanger Pediatrics in North Carolina and study the effects of plant-based diets in adult congenital heart disease survivors.
- Carmody JB, Seckeler MD, Ballengee CR, Conaway M, Jayakumar A, Charlton JR. Preoperative renal volume predicts peak creatinine after congenital heart surgery in neonates. American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, Atlanta, November 2013
- Michael D. Seckeler, MD, Edward Leary, MD, K. Anitha Jayakumar, MBBS, MRCP. Diastolic Performance of Single Systemic Right Ventricles May Not Improve After Stage 2 Palliative Surgery PICS- AICS, January 2013.
- Michael D. Seckeler, MD, James J. Gangemi, MD, Benjamin B. Peeler, MD, K. Anitha Jayakumar, MBBS, MRCP. Head and neck vessel size by angiography as a predictor for re-coarctation after the Norwood/Sano procedure for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. PICS-AICS, Chicago, Illinois, April 2012.
- Seckeler MD, White SC, West SC, Saunders C, Jayakumar KA. Ventricular Interdependence: Effect of Chronic Right Ventricular Pressure or Volume Load on Biventricular Myocardial Mechanics. American College of Cardiology 61st Annual Scientific Sessions, Chicago, Illinois, March 2012
- Shawn C. West, MD MSc, Christine H. Saunders BS RDMS RDCS, Nicole Duncan BS RDCS, and K. Anitha Jayakumar. Vector Velocity Imaging: A reliable tool to quantify myocardial function and predict clinical outcomes in Single Ventricle patients. American Heart Association, November 2011. Abstract 17418
- C. Saunders RDCS, Shawn C. West, K. A. Jayakumar. Ventricular Myocardial Performance in Fetuses and Infants with Congenital Complete Heart Block using Velocity Vector Imaging. ISUOG, Los Angeles, October 2011
- Shawn C. West, Christine H. Saunders, K. Anitha Jayakumar. Echocardiographic Detection of Cardiac Allograft Rejection in Children. International Academy of Cardiology, Vancouver, July 2011
- Michael D. Seckeler, MD, Christine H. Saunders RDCS, James J. Gangemi, MD, Benjamin B. Peeler, MD, Scott D. Lim, MD, K. Anitha Jayakumar, MBBS, MRCP. Transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation versus surgical pulmonary valve replacement: Are we waiting too long to intervene on diseased pulmonary valves? PICS, Boston, July 2011
- Michael D. Seckeler, MD, Carlos M. Mery, MD, MPH, James J. Gangemi, MD, Benjamin B. Peeler, MD, K. Anitha Jayakumar, MBBS, MRCP. Angiographic predictor of pulmonary artery stenosis after the Norwood-Sano operation for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. SCAI, Baltimore, May 2011