Stress is a natural part of life we all deal with.
As a parent, you may be feeling extra anxious as you try to balance work, child care, and self-care while dealing with the new normal we're living in during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The next time you're feeling out of sorts, try any of the following 10 tips to help you stay mentally fresh—for yourself and your loved ones.
- Create routines for you and your children. Stick to your regular sleep, school, meal, or work schedule to help maintain a sense of normalcy.
- Take breaks from the news and social media.Put a limit on what (and how long) you read about the coronavirus. Choose a daily timeout where you spend time with your family or friends over music, games, a meal or conversation.
- Stay active. Walk, jog, run, bike, swim, stretch, or dance three to five times a week for 30 minutes.
- Be transparent with your children, but try not to worry them. Look for the silver linings.
- Focus on the things you can control. Put your stress in perspective and be proud of what you have accomplished.
- Find your peace. Keep calm, no matter how hard the situation, so you can deal with it wisely.
- Stay virtually connected with family and friends. Isolation and loneliness can increase anxiety and depression, and even impact our physical health.
- Find a support system. Turn to people who are thoughtful, sensible, and good listeners.
- Pick up a new hobby and involve your kids sometimes. Gardening, playing an instrument, or learning chess are a few hobbies you can pursue.
- Practice self-care. Try yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or laugh at your favorite comedy film.