Dr. Scholl came to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in 2006 from Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where he was Assistant Professor in the Department of Cardiac Surgery and Surgical Director of Heart Transplantation and Director of the Cardiac Assist Device Program. Prior to that, he was Interim Chief of Cardiac Surgery at Nashville Veterans Administration Medical Center.
Under Dr. Scholl's direction, the Heart Institute at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital has seen significant growth in volume and complexity of cases. According to The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the multidisciplinary team is caring for more acute conditions and has reduced mortality rates to among the lowest in the nation.
Dr. Scholl's research interests include the repair of congenital heart defects and tissue regeneration using autologous tissue. He was invited to present research on Decellularized Porcine Extracellular Matrix Scaffold, Human Applications in Congenital Heart Surgery at the International Symposium on Congenital Cardiac Surgery in Japan and the Fifth World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery in Australia.
At Vanderbilt, his research concerned the development of a cardiac tissue bank for proteomic analysis of cardiac function, development and pathophysiology. He also shares a patent for an implantable pediatric ventricular assist device and is a reviewer for "The European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery", "The Annals of Thoracic Surgery", "World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery", and "Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery."
- Evaluation of Myocardial Protection in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Using Tissue Doppler Imaging, 2007-present
- Use of Small Intestinal Submucosa Extracellular Matrix (SIS-ECM) in Repair of Congenital Cardiac Defects, 2007-present
- Reviewer, World Journal of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, 2010
- "Reply," Echocardiography, 2014
- "Right Ventricular Wall-Motion Changes after Infant Open-Heart Surgery: A Tissue Doppler Study," Echocardiography, 2014
- "Variation in Outcomes for Risk-Stratified Pediatric Cardiac Surgical Operations: An Analysis of the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database," The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2012
- "Variation in Outcomes for Benchmark Operations: An Analysis of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Congenital Heart Surgery Database," The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2011
- "Preliminary Experience with Cardiac Reconstruction Using Decellularized Porcine Extracellular Matrix Scaffold: Human Applications in Congenital Heart Disease," World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, 2010
- "Presentation of Pulmonary Artery Intimal Sarcoma in an Infant with a History of Neonatal Valvular Pulmonic Stenosis," The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2008
- "Pharmacokinetics and Safety of Intravenously Administered Citrulline in Children Undergoing Congenital Heart Surgery: Potential Therapy for Postoperative Pulmonary Hypertension," The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, 2007
- "Retrospective Analysis of Local Sensorimotor Deficits after Radial Artery Harvesting for Coronary Artery Bypass," Journal of Surgical Research, 2007
- "Genetic Variation in the Mitochondrial Enzyme Carbamyl-Phosphate Synthetase 1 Predisposes Children to Increased Pulmonary Artery Pressure Following Surgical Repair of Congenital Heart Defects: A Validated Genetic Association Study," Mitochondrion, 2007
- "Nitric Oxide Precursors and Congenital Heart Surgery: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Oral Citrulline," Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, 2006
- "Rapid Diagnosis of Cannula Migration by Cerebral Oximetry in Neonatal Arch Repair," The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2006
- "A Pilot Study Indicating that Bradykinin B2 Receptor Antagonism Attenuates Protamine-Related Hypotension after Cardiopulmonary Bypass," Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2005
- "A Modified Bronchial Anastomosis Technique for Lung Transplantation," The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2003
- "Migration and Infection of a Pace-Sense Lead from an Abdominal Defibrillator System," Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, 2002
- "Reconstruction of the Heart and Pericardium with Decellularized Porcine Extracellular Matrix Scaffold: Human Applications in Congenital Heart Disease," 5th Annual World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, 2009
- "Preliminary Experience with Porcine Extracellular Matrix Scaffold: Human Applications in Congenital Heart Disease," Innovations in CV Surgery, CorMatrix ECM Technology Symposium, 2010
- "Surgical Management of PDA," 8th Annual Neonatal ICU Developmental Care Conference, 2010
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease," Caribbean Cardiac Society Meeting, 2009
- "Reconstruction of the Heart and Pericardium with Decellularized Porcine Extracellular Matrix Scaffold: Human Application in Congenital Heart Disease," 5th Annual World Congress of Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, 2009
- "Adult Congenital Disease: What Does the Adult Practitioner Need to Know?", Memorial Cardiac and Vascular Institute, 1st Annual Cardiovascular Symposium, 2009
- "Congenital Heart Defects and Heart Failure," AHA Quality Improvement Workshop in Stroke, Heart Failure and AMI, 2009
- "Tissue Engineering in Congenital Heart Surgery," Caribbean Cardiac Society, 2008