High-Quality, Personalized, Compassionate Care
The Division of Pediatric Radiology at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital provides comprehensive imaging and expert services to pediatric patients. Our division has been designed with children and their families in mind. All pediatric imaging is supervised and interpreted by board-certified pediatric radiologists who have specialty training in pediatric radiology. We recognize that pediatric patients do not need adult doses of radiation to achieve high-quality images. Our imaging protocols are tailored to minimize radiation exposure to children. We are proud to participate in the nationwide Image GentlySM campaign, recently introduced by the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging to raise awareness and educate health professionals and parents about the need to lower and limit the exposure of children to radiation.
Our focus is on reducing radiation doses. In fact, our CT scanner utilizes adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction (ASIR) technology and reduces radiation up to 30 percent.
Working with our team of dedicated technologists, nurses and support staff, studies are performed in a patient- and family-centered care environment. A child life specialist is available to help reduce patient and family anxiety and enhance the experience. Images are immediately available for review on our digital imaging system, which enables the radiologist to consult directly with the physician from their offices.
We offer a comprehensive range of radiology services including X-rays, fluoroscopy, CT and MRI scans, ultrasound, nuclear medicine and PET imaging and interventional radiology. We also encourage the use of studies that require less or no radiation. What's more, our pediatric radiologists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to consult with referring physicians regarding the proper ordering of tests.
Here are some additional features of the Department of Radiology at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital:
- Our team includes pediatric-trained specialty nurses, as well as pediatric anesthesiologists, pediatric intensivists, pediatric radiologists and pediatric-trained technologists
- We offer MRI and CT scans, diagnostic radiology, nuclear medicine, ultrasound and invasive services
- Advanced equipment specifically adapted for pediatric use
- Calibration of equipment in accordance with the ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) principle
- Redirection of imaging studies toward lower radiation or no radiation alternatives when appropriate
- Sedation services
- Our nurse navigator for pediatric sedation patients helps facilitate the appropriate scheduling of pediatric sedation cases with the physician offices and answers parents' questions; this helps reduce cancellation rates of pediatric sedation cases
- We are committed to further developing and expanding services in pediatric cardiac MR and CT