Lilliam Valdes-Cruz, MD
Lilliam Valdes-Cruz, MD
1150 North 35 Avenue Suite 575
Hollywood, Florida 33021
Dr. Valdes-Cruz is internationally renowned for her research in cardiac flow dynamics and the quantification of ultrasound methods.
She has held a number of academic and professional appointments over the years, most recently as Professor of Pediatrics, and Director of Cardiac Imaging and Research Laboratories at The Children's Hospital in Denver Colorado. Her previous experience includes medical, administrative, research and academic positions in Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiac Imaging at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center/The Children's Hospital, the University of California at San Diego, the University of Arizona and New York University. She underwent postgraduate training in Pediatrics, Pediatric Cardiology and Fetal Physiology research at New York University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Nuffield Institute for Medical Research at The University of Oxford, England. In addition, she has been a visiting professor and invited speaker at many other institutions worldwide.
Dr. Valdes-Cruz has published over 100 articles in peer-reviewed publications and is the co-author of "Echocardiographic Diagnosis of Congenital Heart Disease: An Embryologic and Anatomic Approach," a textbook of pediatric echocardiography published by Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins in 1999.
1. Pauliks LB, Pietra BA, Kirby S, Logan L, DeGroff CG, Boucek MM, Valdes-Cruz LM: Altered ventricular mechanics in cardiac allografts: A tissue Doppler study in 30 children without prior rejection events. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005; 24: 1804-13.
2. Pauliks LB, Pietra BA, DeGroff CG, Kirby S, Knudson OA, Logan L, Boucek MM, Valdes-Cruz LM: Noninvasive detection of acute allograft rejection in children by tissue Doppler imaging: Myocardial velocities and myocardial acceleration during isovolumic contraction. J Heart Lung Transplant 2005; 24/7S: S239-S248.
3. Pauliks LB, Chan KC, Chang D, Kirby KS, Logan L, DeGroff CG, Boucek MM, Valdes-Cruz LM: Regional myocardial velocities and isovolumic contraction acceleration pre and post device closure of atrial septal defects: A color tissue Doppler study. Am Heart J 2005: 150: 294-301.
4. Das B, Pauliks LB, Knudson OA, Kirby S, Chan KC, Valdes-Cruz L, Cayre RO: Double-Orifice Mitral Valve with Intact Atrioventricular Septum: An Echocardiographic Study with Anatomical and Functional Considerations. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005: 18: 231-236.
5. Pauliks LB, Chan KC, Lorts A, Elias ER, Cayre RO, Valdes-Cruz LM: Sphrintzen-Goldberg syndrome with tetralogy of Fallot and subvalvar aortic stenosis – case report and review of the literature. Ultrasound in Medicine 2005. 24: 703-706.
6. Dyer KL, Pauliks LB, Das B, Shandas R, Ivy DD, Shaffer EM, Valdes-Cruz LM: Use of myocardial performance index in pediatric patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension, J. Am Soc Echocardiography 2006;19(1):21-27.
7. Dyer K, Lanning C, Das BB, Ivy DD, Valdes-Cruz, LM, Shandas R: Development and validation of a non-invasive color M-mode tissue Doppler imaging technique for measuring pulmonary artery compliance: in vitro and clinical studies, J Am. Soc. Echocardiography 2006; 19(4):403-412.
Valdes-Cruz LM and Cayre R,: Echocardiographic Diagnosis of Congenital Heart Disease: An Embryologic and Anatomic Approach. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 1998.
Other Publications, Chapter, Monographs
1. Weinberg CE, Hertzberg JR, Chan KC, Kirby KS, Valdes-Cruz LM, Shandas R. Evaluation of Pediatric Pulmonary Artery Input Impedance using Windkessel Models and Doppler Ultrasound: In Vitro and Clinical Studies. Proceedings of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, 2003.
2. Shandas R, Kim HB, Hertzberg JR, DeGroff CG, Monet E, Valdes-Cruz LM. In Vivo Validation of the Echo-PIV Technique: Animal and Clinical Studies. Proceedings of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, 2003.