At the Hospital
Patient- and Family-Centered Care
Partnering with Patients and Families
At Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, we promote a patient- and family-centered care philosophy to healthcare. Patient- and family-centered care, which refers to the planning, evaluating and delivering of a patient’s care, is a mutually beneficial partnership between healthcare providers, patients and their families. Under this philosophy, patients, their families and healthcare professionals are true partners, working together in the effort to help meet the needs of the child.
Patient- and family-centered care means:
- Understanding and respecting patients’ cultural traditions, personal preferences and values, family situations and lifestyles
- Giving patients and their families the opportunity to make choices about many aspects of their care, and the care delivery process
- Involving patients and their loved ones as part of the care team, collaborating with healthcare professionals in making clinical decisions
- Putting responsibility for important aspects of self-care and monitoring in patients’ hands – along with the tools and support they need
- Striving to ensure that transitions between providers, departments and healthcare settings are respectful, coordinated and efficient
- Collecting – and utilizing – input from Patient and Family Advisory Councils
Our Commitment to Patient- and Family-Centered Care
Why is Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital so deeply committed to providing patient- and family-centered care? Because we believe this philosophy of care best serves the needs of our patients and their families, our employees and our physicians.
Patient- and Family-Centered Care Resources
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital has Patient and Family Resource Centers that provide practical health-related information, hospitality services and community information and support. These Resource Centers, as well as many of our hospital policies, have been created with direct input from our Patient and Family Advisory Councils.
The Patient and Family Advisory Council
As a consumer of health services, your observations about what works for you and your family are powerful tools for enhancing the quality of our hospital. We encourage you to join our Patient and Family Advisory Council where you can help us design programs and services that meet real healthcare needs as defined by patients and families. For more information, please call 954-265-3000 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, download the application
Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital provides a unique service for our patients and their families through our Family Advocate program. Our well-trained and extremely compassionate advocates are here to help you navigate through the healthcare system, communicate with your healthcare team and work to enhance your experience of care. The Advocate can also provide you with helpful resources to guide you through your stay at Joe DiMaggio’s Children Hospital. To contact our Family Advocate program, please call 954-265-0191.
Understanding our Philosophy
To learn more about patient- and family-centered care, we invite you to explore this website. Feel free to contact us at 954-265-3000 with any questions you might have.
For general information about the philosophy and practice of patient- and family-centered care, please visit the Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care website.